Friday, August 22, 2014

Why I Love To Teach

Why I Love To Teach

I was never a good student in school.  I was easily distracted and had a real problem with authority.  I was suspended in High School several times for my “mouthyness”, a high school where my mother was a teacher.  THAT was not a good situation.  My Sister has also been a teacher and my niece is teaching high school now.  I guess…it was unavoidable.
When I jumped out of the Voice Over Agency business and started teaching voice over it was scary and liberating.  I no longer had to worry about pleasing an employer I was now focused on serving my students and watching them come alive.  I knew I had a lot of information to share with them and technique to teach and expertise in recording that could make great things happen. I also found that I had to remain teachable to be able to teach. Of course, I learned all hands-on and I thank all of my ex-employers for allowing me to get the skills I needed to proceed but I also learned from all of the actors I had directed.  I love being around artists and creative people.  I lot of people bad mouth actors but really, I like um!  There are always people who are difficult in life and yes…some of them are actors but I relate to them in a different way and enjoy all that comes with working with them.
When my students succeed, even in the smallest way I am proud, satisfied and encouraged to do more.  I have been expanding my business lately and have a huge recording studio as my new workspace and office.   I feel empowered, inspired and ready to help people achieve their dreams!  There’s no stopping me now!  I am hoping to make this new place a hub for voice actors to record auditions, join a workout group take, take calluses and participate in creative..stuff.
There are no dunce caps or suspensions in my world!  You can fail alright but you can learn from that too!  I just laughed at myself after typing that because sometimes it seems that is the only way I learn!
I am going to spend the rest of my day envisioning new ways to inspire my students.  Yes…I said envisioning….that’s where it all starts! 
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment