Tuesday, September 23, 2014

What You Don't Get Doesn't Matter


Yes, I like Ryan Adams.  It's not because we are related, we are not.  It's not because David Letterman asked him to play an encore on his show which has apparently never happened before.  It's because he persevere's.  When I first saw Whiskeytown at the Whisky or the Roxy can't remember…I was sure he was doomed, for many reasons.  Then he started putting out music on his own and everyone got really judgmental, including myself.  Musicians and critics thought he was "copying us, the 60's and 70's rockers and writers…as if we owned music all together.  Feeling a little threatened much?  I wonder if Robert Johnson felt that way when his blues became popular and morphed into a generations "sound"?

This is not a review of "Ryan Adams" his latest CD but it is great.  He is extremely prolific but I think, he really did what he wanted to do on this one.   For some reason, I can't stop listening to it. That never happens.  It must speak to me in the way music did when I was learning to play the guitar, when I was listening to my transistor radio under the pillow or falling asleep with my giant headphones on listening to Led Zeppelin or James Taylor or CSN.  I want it inside my head at all times, that is my "good" barometer.

A lot of artists have stumbled into fame and into careers that people think they "Don't Deserve".  The jealously of others seems to follow them around right along with the adoration.  Well, they deserve it as much as you do.  In most cases they worked just as hard. Who knows who gets picked?

What you don't get doesn't matter.

I have heard actor, directors, agents and voice over coaches say this over and over "your job is to audition"  The idea being that once you have the job, you get to have the fun and creative experience you crave and the hardest work is auditioning.  I'm not going to talk about rejection, I'm going to talk about letting go of the results.  I'm going to ask you some questions.
  1. Have you trained?
  2. Do you continue to learn?
  3. Do you create new work?
  4. Are you helping others?
  5. Are you grateful?
I have discovered that #4 and #5 are so important that I seek ways to do them daily.  As much as I do #1 though #3 (constantly), I always win when I help others and accept others' success as my own.  Now, don't get me wrong, this is against my competitive nature and…I want what I want …if you get it I am jealous.  That has always been in my brain…..but I have learned.  Success is, in itself an abstract concept in the world of an artist.   If you are a trained voice actor, if you have talent and have nurtured it, if you have the drive, the marketing in place and the absolute "fan-like" passion for it, then all you need to do is show up.   The results are already in.  All you need to do is show up.  

Have you ever noticed how Jimmy Fallon gets so excited and is such a fan of his guests?  He's like a little kid on Christmas morning when they come out.  He's like "I get to play with my idols!" That's the kind of exuberance and wonderment I want to have about all of my work.

Maintaining all of this excitement is difficult at best when you are in a slow spot but that's where #4 and #5 come in.  The minute you start donating your time, calling to see how other people are doing (Not asking what they have auditioned for lately) and realizing that you really do have the best job in the world…I KNOW…life will change for you.

What you don't get doesn't matter.


Love,
Lauren


Want more? Sign up here for a discount on your first class or private session.

No comments:

Post a Comment